“Beckamole” Guacamole is simple: ripe avocados, cilantro, lime, orange, shallot, salt, and a spicy kick from the jalapeños. “Buen provecho!”
Bread, Water, & Guacamole
I think, growing up in California, guacamole was just like bread and water to me. Mexican food was a part of life. When my husband took his new bride across country to live in New York, it was the Mexican food I missed the most (in regards to food that is). In fact, when I asked a local East Coaster where the nearest Mexican restaurant was, they pointed me to Taco Bell. Yikes!
Needless to say, it was years before I made my way into New York City, 45 minutes away, to a delicious restaurant called Rosa Mexicano, where they made guacamole…table side. Now granted, I had finally found a home for amazing guacamole, but a day into the City was no cheap treat. When the nearest Mexican restaurant is a Taco Bell, you learn to cook. Now, I don’t even need to go out anymore. This Beckamole guacamole rocks!
Because guacamole is just one of my favorite foods, and because I am always guilty of hovering over the chips and guacamole dip at all our foodie gatherings, my friend, Ralph, decided to brand this recipe Beckamole in my honor. It has stuck.
Beckamole is perfect with tortilla chips for a healthy snack, amazing dolloped on chili, or as a key condiment for your taco bar. It even has the magical powers of taking humble beans and rice up to a gourmet level. Beckamole is a healthy pleasure you don’t have to feel guilty indulging in.
- 3 Shallots (minced) or 1/4 cup red onion
- 1 jalapeño (stemmed, seeded, and minced)
- 1 bunch fresh chopped cilantro
- 6 ripe avocados
- 1/2 cup fresh squeezed lime juice
- 1/4 cup fresh-squeezed orange juice
- sea salt to taste (about 1 1/2 tsp)
- In a food processor, add the jalapeño, shallots, and cilantro and pulse until finely chopped.
- Add avocados, lime juice, orange juice, and salt and pulse until you reach your preferred consistency.
- Taste and add more salt, if necessary.
- If not serving right away, place plastic wrap directly on the Beckamole to prevent browning from air contact and store in refrigerator.
- Hover away!