Birthdays are special days for all of us…even our pets. Doggie Donuts are an easy, healthy, and even kid-tested birthday treat. Made with ingredients like bananas, peanut butter, and yogurt, these baked goodies are perfect to share with your favorite canine companion.
Celebrating Our Favorite Canine
Watson came into our lives four years ago today(the above picture was taken from his last birthday). He is a Bramblet through and through. Thinking he is just one of the kids, well of course we would celebrate the day he was born. Every year, Watson celebrates his birthday on February 12th with a special breakfast and of course his favorite Doggie Donuts. The kids named them and bake them. I take no responsibility for the entire celebration, because it is a day I love to watch them shine and celebrate the one they love.
Kid Made, Mother Approved
We searched the internet to find a recipe that was Watson worthy and one that, technically, had ingredients I could feed my own kids. For the last few years we have slightly adapted a recipe I found on the blog, If You Give A Blonde a Kitchen. These are plain, but loaded with nutritious and all-natural ingredients like bananas, no sugar added peanut butter, organic yogurt, coconut oil, free-range eggs, and lightly sweetened with honey. Watson has no problem woofing down three or four of them in seconds flat and we get a kick watching him try to lick the peanut butter yogurt frosting off the roof of his mouth.
The Recipe for Doggie Donuts
Birthdays are special days for all of us...even our pets. Doggie Donuts are an easy, healthy, and even kid-tested birthday treat. Made with ingredients like bananas, peanut butter, and yogurt, these baked goodies are perfect to share with your favorite canine companion.
- For the Doggie Donuts:
- 1 cup smashed bananas (about 2 ripe bananas)
- 1/4 cup organic peanut butter
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 2 T raw honey
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- For the Frosting:
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup organic peanut butter
- 1 T raw honey
- Preheat the oven to 350°
- Grease a 6-cup donut pan with coconut oil.
- In a mixing bowl, combine your bananas, peanut butter, coconut oil, and honey.
- Add in the egg and stir until incorporated.
- Stir in the flour and baking soda.
- Pour into your prepared donut tins and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove and let cool to room temperature.
- While the dounuts are baking, mix together the yogurt, peanut butter, and honey until smooth and creamy.
- When the donuts are cooled, frost with the yogurt frosting and serve with a birthday candle and a wish.
Pets, feel free to share your donuts with your human companions.
This recipe has been slightly adapted from a recipe by Haley on her blog If You Give A Blonde A Kitchen
Birthdays Are the Best Days To Celebrate the Ones We Love
Because He Deserves Our Best
He does so much for us: keeps us safe by watching the property, chasing away wild animals…including scary Amazon drivers, and greeting us with excessive happiness as if he hasn’t seen us all week when we come home after only being out a few hours. We are his family, and he is our Watson. Happy Birthday Buddy!
Leave a Reply