Hearty kale and shredded Brussels sprouts along with toasted almonds, Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, and a delicious Lemon, shallot, & Dijon mustard dressing, create a flavorful autumn salad you will be proud to take along with you to your family gatherings.
Eat Your Greens
I have to say, kale and Brussels sprouts are literally my favorite green veggies. And broccoli too. Truthfully, I love greens and greens love you back. Greens are loaded with high levels of fiber, iron, magnesium, potassium, calcium, vitamins A & E, and folate (a B vitamin that promotes heart health and healthy pregnancy). Greens are body and blood cleansers that help flush out toxins and strengthen against free radicals. Translated: eat your greens. Mama was right!
Support Your Local Farm
I have heard of bouquets of carrots instead of flowers, but kale? Now, don’t get me wrong, if all you have access to in your area are veggies from the grocery store, then by all means eat them. But if for some miraculous chance you live near a farm or CSA, purchasing your greens locally will give you the most health benefits and flavor as well as support your local farm with every bite. We just happen to live near the BEST family-owned farm ever. The Tolley Family at Red Thread Farm provides beautiful vegetables for locals each week as well as products from local artisans such as sourdough bread, grass-fed meat, and cheese. Undoubtedly, they feature the most beautiful kale I have ever seen. Literally, it looks like a kale bouquet and tastes…AMAZING!
Kale & Brussels sprout Salad with Toasted Almonds
Lemon, Shallot, & Dijon Dressing
To eliminate tons of cleanup and simplify, I prepare the dressing at the bottom of my salad bowl and build my salad from the top down. I add in everything but the olive oil and then gently whisk, drizzling the oil in a slow stream until combined. When combined, add the chopped kale and shredded Brussels sprouts.
Add the Parmigiano Reggiano & Toasted Almonds Just Before Serving & Toss
- 1/4 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 2 T Dijon mustard
- 1 T minced shallot
- 2 tsp. chopped fresh garlic (2 small garlic cloves) **
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp each sea salt and fresh ground pepper
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil plus 1 T for toasting almonds
- 2 large bunches of Kale (about 1 1/2 pounds total) stem removed and loosely chopped into bite-sized pieces.
- 12 oz Brussels sprouts (finely shredded or sliced in the food processor)
- 1 cup toasted almond, chopped
- 1 cup finely shredded Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- Add lemon juice, Dijon mustard, minced shallot, chopped garlic, red pepper flakes, salt & pepper and olive oil to a large bowl.
- Heat 1 T olive oil in a cast iron skillet and add whole almonds. Toast for about 2 minutes until golden. Careful not to burn. Immediately turn out onto a plate to cool as they will continue to roast (and burn) in the skillet. Chop when cooled.
- Remove outer leaves of the Brussels sprouts and shred or thinly slice in a food processor or by hand.
- Remove Kale leaves from the hard inner stem and loosly chop into bite sized pieces.
- Give the dressing another quick wisk and add the Brussels sprouts and kale to the bowl. Toss well.
- Add the Parmigiano Reggiano cheese and toasted almonds just before serving.
This recipe serves a lot and is best served fresh the day it is prepared. Otherwise, the kale soaks up all the dressing and it loses it's flavor and the toasted almonds don't taste so toasty. Just say'n.
**I keep a jar of prepared chopped garlic in my refrigerator so I have it ready to spoon into all my recipes. I purchase a large package of peeled garlic at Costco, chop it up in my food processor, fill several wide mouth pint jars, and add olive oil to preserve. It lasts for weeks in the refrigerator as long as the garlic is covered by the olive oil. I always have extra to share with friends. Such a time-saver and the flavor is AMAZING compared to the storebought jars of prepared chopped garlic.
Try These Other Yummy Veggie Sides and Salads…
In everything you do -eat, play, and, love- may it always be Seasoned with Joy!